October 31st, 2019
The NDP is seeking an experienced and talented, energetic and reputable New Democrat to fill the role of National Director.
The National Director serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the New Democratic Party and will have overall fiduciary responsibility for the Party and its operations, including; strategic planning, fundraising, banking, financial and human resources, internal and external relationships, and legislative compliance.
- Manage the development and execution of both a short term and long term strategic plan;
- Develop and maintain financial systems for expenses including; operations, bank loan repayment, debts and creditors;
- Management of the Jack Layton Building and its finances;
- Oversee the planning and execution of the next Federal election campaign.
- Oversee the development and execution of an integrated fundraising plan, a long term financial plan, and ensure compliance with the established annual budget;
- Establish cashflow systems in coordination with operations and accounting needs and best practices;
- Oversee human resources and labour relations.
Internal and External Relationships
- Report to the Officers, and maintain good working relationships with Federal Executive and Council;
- Oversee the planning of Federal Executive and Council meetings;
- Liaise with provincial parties and sections;
- Maintain good relationships with the Leader, their office, and the federal caucus;
- Establish and maintain relationships with Committees, Commissions and the Youth section of the Party;
- Maintain and develop relationships with affiliates, vendors, and strategic allies;
- Serve as public spokesperson on party affairs.
- Work with staff to ensure the Party operates in compliance with the Canada Elections Act and maintains a strict code of ethics and practices;
- Ensure compliance with the Constitution of the New Democratic Party of Canada.
- 5 Years Experience in a senior management role for a non-profit, political party, or other board-governed organization;
- Employer experience with collective bargaining and operating within a unionized environment;
- Experience in strategic planning, fundraising, political analysis, analytic reporting, and campaign development;
- Experience in financial management, including budget and balance sheet management of annual accounts in excess of $5 Million;
- Fundraising experience including; major gifts, events, capital campaigns, digital outreach and engagement, database and CRM tools, and donor stewardship;
- Significant campaign experience, ideally at both the local and central levels;
- Experience and positive track record with human resources including; retaining talent, training and mentoring, and providing a positive and safe work environment;
- Ability to report to and work with a volunteer board and volunteers in general;
- Experience in planning or coordinating major events, conventions, and tours;
- Experience with stakeholder relations, including labour groups, businesses, charities, and other relevant associations;
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills;
- Excellent understanding of the New Democratic Party, its members, its policies, structure and history, as well as current issues in Canadian politics;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, preferably in both official languages;
- Ability to work co-operatively, with strong interpersonal skills;
- Willingness to work irregular hours and travel regularly.
Location: Ottawa, ON
deadline: November 17, 2019 – 5 pm EST
Commencing Date: To be Determined
Send resume, cover letter and salary expectations to:
Attn: Mathieu Vick, NDP President
The NDP is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive and safe workplace that reflects the diversity and richness of our membership. Members of equity seeking groups are encouraged to self-identify.