May 16th, 2023
Lori Idlout, MP Nunavut - Constituency Assistant, Permanent, Full-Time Position
Lori Idlout, MP Nunavut
Constituency Office, Iqaluit, Nunavut
Travel may be required; occasional long hours and some weekends.
- Manages, triages and reviews the Member’s emails and communications. Prioritizes, sorts and evaluates correspondence/documentation and distributes it to the appropriate people. Ensures effective communications by properly organizing and screening information.
- Manages the Member’s agenda, reviews and discusses commitments, schedules meetings and events and informs the Member of any changes.
- Drafts correspondence to Ministers and stakeholders as required.
- Keeps the Member’s schedule up-to-date, which includes planning and coordinating meetings, making travel arrangements, scheduling appointments and conferences, and providing specific and pertinent information to the Member on all relevant matters.
- Provides various administrative and/or business services to the Member and staff to ensure the flow of operations and to help the constituency office achieve its goals and priorities.
- Creates and maintains systems to monitor requests and/or questions to be handled and their respective deadlines, as well as a system for distributing files.
- Acts as the first line of response with constituents for all incoming cases (e.g. immigration, Canada Revenue and Old Age Security files) and provides information, advice and support in person, over the telephone and in writing.
- Contacts government services on behalf of constituents to obtain more information and follow up on available national programs as well as to seek and achieve resolution in all cases and follows up with constituents throughout the client file life cycle. Ensures cases are dealt with in a sensitive, confidential and timely manner.
- Drafts responses to constituent emails and letters, including on general policy and constituency casework issues.
- Helps with special projects that aim to improve the effectiveness of the office’s administrative operations.
- Performs other related duties within the scope of the position.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Good administrative skills and ability to multitask.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure, respond to short-term demands and adapt to new situations.
- Exceptional judgment and interpersonal skills, and ability to exercise diplomacy when interacting with the public and stakeholders.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with an ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail and problem-solving abilities.
- Good grasp of the Canadian parliamentary system and federal political issues.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite.
- High degree of self-motivation to learn and take initiative.
- Experience working in an office setting providing reception or administrative support.
- Post-secondary education from a recognized institution OR an acceptable combination of education, training and relevant experience.
- Ability to speak Inuktitut is strongly desired.
(salary levels subject to clauses 12 and 21 of the collective agreement)
May 31, 2023 (Midnight)
As soon as possible
Send application to
Office and position applied for must be indicated in subject line of e-mail application
A collective agreement is in effect between UFCW (Local 232) and the New Democratic Party Members of Parliament. All applications will be received and held in confidence.
The NDP and NDP MPs actively promote employment equity. Women, Black, Indigenous, and racialized persons, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQI+, and anyone from equity seeking groups are strongly encouraged to apply for this position, and qualified applicants from these groups will be given priority. If you are a member of an equity-seeking group, you may choose to identify as such in your application. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange appropriate accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.