October 15th, 2020
Caucus Press Secretary – Permanent, Full-Time Position
NDP Research Office / NDP Leader’s Office
Parliamentary Office, Ottawa, Ontario
To assist the leader and caucus in carrying out their parliamentary responsibilities by coordinating media relations under the supervision of the Director of Communications.
- Serve as Press Secretary to New Democrat MPs
- Communicate regularly with media to generate national and regional media coverage that raises public awareness for the leader and caucus
- Along with other members of the media team, answer enquiries from media outlets
- Provide media support to MPs and their staff
- As part of the media team, prepare press releases and other materials
- As part of the media team, support and assist with the organising of press conferences as required
- Assist with media monitoring and analysis on issues important to the work of the Caucus
- Prepare Caucus Members for media interviews and Question Period
- Travel with the Leader or other Members of Parliament as required
- Work collaboratively within a team to advance New Democrat goals
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated experience in media relations, including development and implementation of communications strategies
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a creative team environment
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines
- Excellent writing and editing skills in French and English
- Willingness to work irregular hours and travel as needed
- Excellent interpersonal communication, computer and organizational skills
- Knowledge of Canadian politics and the parliamentary system
- Familiarity with the New Democratic Party, its policies and structure
- Bilingualism required
- Driver’s license an asset
(salary levels subject to clauses 12 and 21 of the collective agreement)
October 29, 2020 (Midnight)
As soon as possible
Send application to
Office and position must be indicated in subject line of e-mail application.
A collective agreement is in effect between UFCW (Local 232) and the New Democratic Party Members of Parliament. All applications will be received and held in confidence.
The NDP and NDP MPs are employment equity employers. Women, racialized persons, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons are encouraged to apply for this position. If you are a member of an equity-seeking group, you may choose to identify as such in your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.