August 25th, 2021
14 times Justin Trudeau gave the ultra-rich a free ride
- When he refused calls to crack down against fee hikes from Canada’s big 5 banks in the middle of the pandemic, as their profits soared.
- When he teamed up with Erin O’Toole to vote against taxing the ultra-rich.
- When he let big corporations use the emergency wage subsidy to funnel millions to their CEOs.
- When he let web giants – like Facebook or Amazon – profit off Canadians and pay little to no tax.
- When no wealthy tax evaders were charged in six years of Liberal government.
- When he let billionaires increase their wealth by $78 billion during the pandemic, unchecked.
- When he let 30 companies use the wage subsidy to payout $2 billion to shareholders between just April and September, while they fired workers.
- When he reduced auditing of large corporations that evade taxes.
- When he promised to crack down on rich housing speculators in the 2020 budget, then didn’t, and the average home price shot up $149,800.
- When he increased average yearly fossil fuel subsidies by $900 million over Stephen Harper’s numbers.
- When he went back on his commitment that wealthy tax evaders wouldn’t receive COVID benefits.
- When he gave $12 million in public money to grocery giant Loblaws, less than two years after they admitted to price-fixing.
- When he tried to protect SNC-Lavalin from criminal prosecution.
- When he protected big telecoms and voted against ending price-gouging by the Big 3.
There were some other times too. But you get the idea.