Young people want to get ahead, but are making student loan payments the size of mortgage payments. They're spending years under crushing debt.
Since they have been in government, Justin Trudeau and the Liberals government have taken over $4 billion from students in interest payments – profiting off the backs of young people already feeling the squeeze.
The pandemic has only made things worse. Over half of youth experienced an impact on their financial situation due to the pandemic.
To make it worse, last September, despite signs that a second wave was coming, Trudeau cut support for young people by stopping the moratorium on student loan payments. Jagmeet Singh and the NDP fought back to re-instate the moratorium, and while Justin Trudeau agreed, he then broke his promise.
Jagmeet has a plan to make sure young people thrive instead of being buried in debt. Join him in calling on Justin Trudeau to:
• Re-instate the moratorium on student loan payments until the pandemic is over.
• Permanently remove interest on all federal student loans.
• Give new graduates a five-year head start without having to repay any federal student loans.
• Cancel up to $20,000 of federal student loan debt per student for old and new graduates.
• Commit to working towards a future where tuition is free.