Daniel Blaikie, MP - Legislative Assistant, Temporary, Full-Time Position (5 months)
Daniel Blaikie, MP Elmwood — Transcona
Parliamentary Office, Ottawa, Ontario
- Prepare materials for Question Period, speaking notes, and recommendations for use in the House of Commons, and Committees
- Write, collect material and prepare householders, direct mail, op-ed pieces, media material, news releases, speeches, articles and correspondence in coordination with colleagues in the constituency office
- Act as media liaison for the Member, including organizing press conference and other media events
- Research, maintain files, monitor the media and brief Member on critic areas and riding-related matters, priorities and issues
- Able and willing to assist with general office related tasks such as answering telephones, reception, sorting mail, etc.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationship with key individuals and organizations in the community, working on similar issues
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent computer skills, specifically good knowledge of Windows and MS Office
- Knowledge of the New Democratic Party, the labour movement, government departments, community organizations
- Knowledge of Elmwood — Transcona and riding priorities
- Familiarity with social media (eg. Facebook, YouTube, etc.)
- Sound political judgment
- Relevant post-secondary education or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with desktop publishing software, graphic layout skills, an asset
- Knowledge of databases, an asset
- Bilingualism, an asset
(salary levels subject to clauses 12 and 21 of the collective agreement)
April 22, 2019 (Midnight)
As soon as possible
Send application to
Hiring Committee, NDP Caucus Services
202, Sparks St, Suite 217, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0A6
(Office and position applied for must be indicated in subject line if e-mailing application.)
A collective agreement is in effect between UFCW (Local 232) and the New Democratic Party Members of Parliament. All applications will be received and held in confidence.
The NDP and NDP MPs are employment equity employers. Women, racialized persons, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons are encouraged to apply for this position. If you are a member of an equity-seeking group, you may choose to identify as such in your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.