August 18, 2015
Mulcair announces federal action on wildfires and flood safety
NDP Leader Tom Mulcair brought his Campaign for Change to Nanaimo today, where he announced a three-point plan to assist provinces and territories in keeping Canadians safe from wildfires and floods, as the effects of climate change worsen.
“It’s no secret that government resources and first responders are being stretched to the limit this summer, but it’s going to take more than a Conservative photo-op to protect Canadian communities,” said Mulcair. “Stephen Harper has left Canadians at risk by cutting training and emergency preparedness programs.”
Mulcair said his plan will focus on training, equipment and disaster relief.
Specifically, the NDP will restore funding for the Joint Emergency Preparedness Program and for training programs previously provided by the Emergency Preparedness College. The NDP will also sit down with the provinces to strengthen the Disaster Financial Assistance Agreements to respond as disasters become more frequent.
“The NDP is taking action to ensure Canadians and their homes are safer with an effective and modern approach to coordinated disaster assistance,” said Mulcair. “The NDP understands the urgent need for a strong national plan to help prevent, mitigate and respond to wildfires and floods in the face of climate change. We have the plan to undo the damage done by Stephen Harper.”