April 14th, 2014

The dwindling list of acceptable voter identification

Democratic Reform Minister Pierre Poilievre happily parrots off lists of identification he claims Canadians can use to vote. But his claims are misleading.

Of the 39 accepted pieces of information, fewer than half include proof of address.

At least one, old age security cards, aren’t even issued anymore.

And for those trying to save some trees and receive e-bills, those don’t count. Only hard copy mail with your address will be accepted.

  • Driver's licence
  • · Ontario health card
  • Provincial/territorial ID card in some provinces/territories
  • · Canadian passport
  • · Certificate of Canadian citizenship (citizenship card)
  • · Birth certificate
  • · Certificate of Indian status (status card)
  • · Social insurance number card
  • · Old age security card
  • · Student ID card
  • · Liquor ID card
  • · Hospital/medical clinic card
  • · Credit/debit card
  • · Employee card
  • · Public transportation card
  • · Library card
  • · Canadian Forces ID card
  • · Veterans Affairs Canada health card
  • · Canadian Blood Services/Héma-Québec card
  • · CNIB ID card
  • · Firearm possession and acquisition licence or possession only licence
  • · Fishing, trapping or hunting licence
  • · Outdoors or wildlife card/licence
  • · Hospital bracelet worn by residents of long-term care facilities
  • · Parolee ID card
  • Utility bill (telephone, TV, PUC, hydro, gas or water)
  • Bank/credit card statement
  • Vehicle ownership/insurance
  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • Statement of government benefits (employment insurance, old age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit)
  • Attestation of residence issued by the responsible authority of a First Nations band or reserve
  • Government cheque or cheque stub
  • Pension plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation
  • Residential lease/mortgage statement
  • Income/property tax assessment notice
  • Insurance policy
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • One of the following, issued by the responsible authority of a shelter, soup kitchen, student/senior residence, or long-term care facility: attestation of residence, letter of stay, admission form or statement of benefits

If you don’t hold a driver’s license or a provincial identification card with your photo and address on it, you must produce two pieces of ID, one of which must have your home address. And fewer than half of the identification listed would qualify.

Conservatives – starting with their deceitful minister for Democratic Reform – must stop lying to Canadians about what ID they can use to vote.

Canadians deserve better.