New Democrats fight for gender equity
Here are 10 things New Democrats are doing to make a real difference in the lives of women and girls:
- Calling for pro-active pay equity legislation now to close the wage gap and deliver economic equality for women.
- Holding the Liberal government to their promise of a national action plan to fight gender-based violence.
- Fighting for free prescription birth control.
- Pushing for expanded access to affordable childcare and parental leave.
- Calling on the government to adequately invest in Canada’s network of shelters and transitional and supportive housing for women who are fleeing violence.
- Fighting to eliminate federal tax on diapers, baby bottles and certain breastfeeding products.
- Standing up for women’s access to sexual and reproductive health care – like calling on the government to make the medical abortion drug RU-486 available and accessible in Canada.
- Passing legislation to ensure the full rights and protections of transgender and gender diverse Canadians.
- Demanding justice for Indigenous women who have gone missing from our communities or have been murdered.
- Fighting for gender equity in parliament.
It’s more important than ever that we stand together for gender equality. We can’t stop, and we won’t stop.