Director of Communications - NDP Research Office - Permanent, Full-time Position
NDP Research Office
Parliamentary Office, Ottawa, Ontario
This person provides strategic leadership to the Parliamentary Leader of the NDP and its Caucus.
The Director is responsible for the effective management of the department’s staff and other resources to deliver high quality and effective communications strategy for the Parliamentary Leader and the New Democrat Caucus.
This position reports to the Chief of Staff and is a member of the Management Team.
- Develop and implement communication strategies and planning
- Direct communication strategies to support the Parliamentary Leader and Caucus, including media relations, print materials, and speeches
- As a member of the Management Team, work collaboratively to develop and communicate the common vision, mission and strategic priorities of the NDP to staff, Caucus and other stakeholders
- Develop message and communication plans to carry out the strategic priorities
- Ensure effective liaison with Caucus members to develop strategic priorities and provide support
- Develop and manage departmental resources to meet the Department’s mandate and responsibilities
- Build and maintain an effective staff team
- Ensure identification of emerging issues and media opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working in a senior role in government, opposition or in media/NGOs/trade unions/non-profit sector/private sector
- Extensive media and communications experience
- A strategic thinker with ability to set priorities
- Strong project management skills
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, for political purposes
- Ability to lead and motivate a team and to foster a collaborative working environment
- Sound knowledge of Canadian politics, the New Democratic Party of Canada, its policies, programme and structure
- Bilingualism is required
Commensurate with experience
February 22, 2018 (Midnight)
As soon as possible
Send application to
Hiring Committee, NDP Caucus Services
202 Sparks St, Suite 217, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0A6
(Office and position applied for must be indicated in subject line of e-mail application.)
All applications will be received and held in confidence. The NDP and NDP MPs are employment equity employers. Women, racialized persons, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons are encouraged to apply for this position. If you are a member of an equity-seeking group, you may choose to identify as such in your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.